This dish is contributed by Dr Kripa Narayan.
Nolumbu Addai is an important part of the Karadai Nombu festival for the people in Kerala and Tamil Nadu. On this day a woman prays for the well-being and long life of her husband in remembrance of the Satyavan-Savithri katha. Both sweet and salt adai are made on the ocassion and the recipes for these are below.
1 cup Rice flour
1 cup Jaggery
2 tsp finely chopped fresh coconut
Cardamom powder- made from 2-3 cardamoms
1 tsp Red Moong Dal whole Channa dal
- Soak red moong dal whole,channa dal each 1tsp over night.
- Dry roast the rice flour in pan till light brown and keep aside.
- Dissolve jaggery in some water, then strain it to remove the stones and dirt.
- Mix water and jaggery to make 2.5 cup of mixture.
- Boil this water-jaggery mixture to elaichi/cardamom powder,soaked dals and scraped coconut pieces.
- Finally reduce heat and add the rice flour,stirring continuously till it becomes solid.let it cool.
- Oil the idly plates
- Knead the dough.take lime sized ball,press it in the idly depression evenly,put a hole in the center, steam it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove it and leave to cool.